Friday, June 22, 2012


I’m tired of moping over my pollution-induced hacking cough. I refuse to hide inside my apartment any longer. I have six more weeks here, and damn it, I am going to have fun, I am going to explore this city, and I am going to do it without getting lung cancer.
Besides, what am I so worried about, anyway? This city is full of rainbows:

The good news is that I’ve found a way to save my trip, thanks to the Totobobo Mask I bought yesterday for 180 yuan. It has two filters that trap undesirable particulates down to 0.3 microns in diameter, and filter out 92-96% of unhealthy particles in the air, including pollution and viruses. I can actually smell fresh air when I inhale. I can bike. I can walk outside to buy groceries. And I may look like a post-apocalyptic piglet when I’m wearing it, but I don’t care, because I feel like a functioning human being again!
So, I kind of apologize for the complaining last time. I may have to wear a freaky mask now, but I am going to give this city another chance.
Today, with mask firmly attached, I went out with Juanes for a 20-mile ride (complete route here), braving an AQI of 220* .
*An air quality index of 220 is considered “Moderately Polluted” according to the Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection, which I like to think of as “humans should probably fucking stay indoors”


Yep… I’m never taking this thing off again.

Hannah Cui, Karishma Habbu, Melanie Gao, Mikey Zhong liked this post

See original link, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment